fudge asked:

I only have one key to my 2000 volvo s80, I know it has the PATS chip in it, I just wonder how much it will cost from the dealership, or is there another source that I can turn to, to have this done.

Roberto
  • Digg
  • Bumpzee
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Furl
  • Mixx
  • NewsVine
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon
  • YahooMyWeb
  • Google

• How much will it cost to replace two doors/door panels on a 2001 Volvo s60?
  • Is there a less expensive way to have a 2002 Volvo key copied?
  • I just bought a Volvo S60 and it has a bulb issue. How much would something like that cost to get looked at?
  • Is it difficult to find parts of a old Volvo Amazone?
  • How many ohms are in a Volvo Penta B30 ignition resistor?
  • Comments

No Responses to “How much will it cost for me to get a volvo key made with the chip in it?”

1. Boskey on November 22nd, 2009 11:51 pm

Call the dealer where the van was originally purchased. Offer them proof (fax a copy of your registration). Tell them the problem and ask if they have the key code on file. Dealerships are required to hold onto info on all vehicles for 7 years. They should have the key code and be able to make a key from the code. Even though you no longer have the key. Make them make 2 or more for safe keeping. Look to spend about 4 bucks per key granted that there is no chip inside. Some keys have a chip that is special to each car so that the ignition will start. If it does have a chip, expect to pay an additional 30 bucks to get it programmed.

Good luck in finding the original.

2. sixoneurdun on November 23rd, 2009 10:55 am

key itself is $42.

Volvo will charge you $100 for the programming

I would suggest just getting the key at $42 and skipping the $100 programming since the bypass serves the same function..but .you have to use the remote start,

but also a good locksmith can program a key.
      find a local locksmith. give your vin # and they can program one. anyone with a good electronic shop can retrofit these units.

it is just that the volvo dealerships want you to purchase one from them and only them.

,,^._.^,,

3. flyskittle on November 26th, 2009 9:57 am

My experience with the S60 leads me to think you may want to brace yourself for a much more expensive venture than is being suggested. While I’m not positive that the 2000 S80 has the same ‘chip’ I’m fairly certain it does. If it does, and you go directly to Volvo for a master key, expect the key alone to be between $150-170 and the programming to be another $170-210.

4. saif. on November 27th, 2009 1:54 pm

about £35 from volvo speacialist theres one in hackney downs service station.they are very honest and cheap compared with other dealers.

5. butchdalton on November 28th, 2009 12:47 pm

we just had one done for one of our customers and the total came up to around $300 CAD by the time it was programmed etc.

6. mortons69 on November 28th, 2009 3:40 pm

It’s about $60.00 for the key itself, traced from your key. This type of key CANNOT BE CUT FROM THE KEY CODE because it is a laser - cut key. It’s around $35.00 for the software and around $60.00 for the labor to program it all to your car. You can order a key from Volvo pre-cut to your key code but if the ignition has ever been changed the key could be wrong so it’s better to have it traced and cut at the dealer.